- Electric fireplaces produce warmth by heating coils while creating the full ambiance of a fireplace with the heating element and a mantel.
- These items do not require a vent for installation.
- Pro: There is no actual flame, and can generally heat up to 400-sq. ft.
- Con: Increases electricity cost.
- Fireplace inserts are fireboxes that are installed into an existing fireplace to increase heating efficiency.
- These units are available for wood burning or gas fireplace.
- Often feature a fan to distribute the warm air throughout the room.
- May or may not require a vent for installation.
- Pro: These items increase efficiency and decrease the cost of using an existing fireplace.
- Con: Units can be difficult to install.
- Gel fireplaces do not require electricity, and instead, run on gel fuel that can be ignited with an everyday match.
- The gel fuel emits a real flame that offers ample heat for large spaces.
- Pro: Do not require an electrical outlet, do not impact gas or electric bills and installation is minimal.
- Con: Gel fuel cans add to the long-term cost.
Outdoor Fire Pit
- Outdoor fire pits come in a variety of shapes, sizes and designs. Styles include, but are not limited to: domes, cubes, cylinders, tabletop, bowls, copper or cast iron.
- Outdoor fire pits commonly run on wood fuel or gel. Gel fuel will not get as hot and will last for two to three hours, whereas wood fuel will provide more warmth and last longer.
- Pro: Great for providing warmth in large, outdoor settings.
- Con: Can create more of a mess and more smoke than other outdoor heaters like patio heaters.
Safety & Maintenance
- For indoor fireplaces, it is recommended to have a fire extinguisher easily accessible and nearby the unit.
- For outdoor fireplaces, it is recommended to have a hose nearby the unit.
- It is important to keep all flammable items away from indoor and outdoor units at all times.
- For an indoor heater, chose an open area so the heat can be widely dispersed.
- If an outdoor fire pit will be placed on a deck, it is a good idea to coat the deck surface with a flame-resistant stain.
- Wood burning fireplaces require routine cleaning and ash disposal.